Soils are fragile, and the impact of our actions on soils is often overlooked or ignored. To ensure a healthy and green future for our current and future generations, we need to protect and care for soils.
The European Commission and the European Regions Research and Innovation Network (ERRIN) therefore recently launched the Mission Soil Manifesto which supports the implementation of the EU Mission ‘A Soil Deal for Europe’.
The Manifesto aims to gather regional and local policy-makers, as well as all interested stakeholders and citizens into a dynamic community engaged around the topic of soil health.
As a signatory of the Manifesto, the European Federation of Geologists (EFG) commits in particular to:
- Advance soil-related research and/or innovation (management, technologic, product, social innovation
- Promote or take part in the co-creation of solutions, in particular through work in living labs and/or lighthouses
- Raise awareness on the importance of soil, enhance training, education and advise and enlarge the community that is taking care of this resource through outreach
- Promote soil protection and restoration through policy-making and programming of funds.
- Support the deployment of practices for sustainable land management
How to become part of the community?
You can sign the Manifesto as a representative of a legal entity or as an individual. Neither you nor the entity you represent will have any legally binding obligations. However, by signing the Mission Soil Manifesto, you are speaking up for the importance of soil health. You are also joining a community that cares for the future of European and global soils. You take on a symbolic commitment to take action and to contribute to soil health protection and restoration.
Signatories of the Manifesto will have access to the latest research results, along with the opportunity to take part in knowledge-sharing activities and events to exchange best practices for our soils.