Sustainability is considered to be a top priority for all mankind by United Nations. With that goal in mind, ISSMGE technical committee TC 307, aims to monitor, produce and disseminate information regarding the contribution of geotechnical design and construction to a sustainable development.
This contribution includes adopting environment-friendly, cost-effective and socially-acceptable choices.
In line with United Nations concerns, the first conference on sustainability in geotechnical engineering is being organized by LNEC, with the following goals:
- To contribute and to disseminate information on sustainability and resilience related issues in geotechnical engineering.
- To offer an exceptional opportunity for exchanges between specialists in the various disciplines.
- To offer the widest possible forum to young or new authors.
- To give innovation an opportunity, by welcoming papers devoted to new materials, techniques and applications.
- To give an outlook of the future.
- To offer a high scientific and technical level to match the expectations of all participants.
Sustainability indicators, metrics and assessment tools in geotechnical engineering
Innovative, environmentally friendly and energy efficient geotechnical techniques
- For site investigation
- For waste containment
- For remediation
- For ground improvement
- For construction
- For monitoring
Sustainable use of geotechnical systems and materials
- Minimization, reuse and recycling of waste materials
- Smart materials
- Retrofitting of foundations and other geotechnical structures
- Life cycle assessment
Use and reuse of underground space for beneficial purposes
- Storage of energy
- Storage of carbon dioxide
Geotechnical techniques involved in the exploitation of renewable energy sources
- Shallow and deep geothermal energies
- Solar and wind energies
Socio-economic impacts from geo-activities
- Mining and petroleum extractions
- Dam construction
- Waste disposal
Geohazard (man-made and natural) vulnerability and mitigation
- Effects of global climate change
Practice of geoethics and maintaining geodiversity
Regulations on sustainability in geotechnical engineering
Education on sustainability in Geotechnical Engineering